Saturday, April 2, 2011

Week 1: Free Choice!

With this blog being a free choice activity, I just wanted to reflect more into copyright.  As I was posting responses to other's blogs, I started to think...what if we as educators were not able to show famous copyright works?  How would our teaching style and curriculum be if we were not able to bring the world outside inside to our students?

I remember in my English classes listening to the works of Ernest Hemingway, Edgar Alan Poe, and Langston Hughes.  How would I know about these famous writers if they were never wrote down nor able to be used in the classroom.  Or if in History class, I was not able to see a picture of the White House, and if I never visited Washington, D.C., would I really be able to understand the depiction of my teacher's words better than a photograph?

With teaching, we must be careful what we reproduce, but we must also ask ourselves, "Will the students understand without a visual or an auditory piece?"  Within our lessons, we should embed modifications to our lessons for different learners.  We have all learned about our auditory learners, kinesthetic, visual, etc.  I am happy that during a lesson, I can go on Google and freely show my students a picture of who Emmitt Till is or a video about World War I.  Fair use make teaching much easier than creating original items each day for class!
Picture via creativecommons.org

1 comment:

  1. excellent observations, it is essential that we have access and the rights to use the works of our artists to teach our students about these works. Expecting education to pay top-dollar just for the privilege is a big mistake.

    ReplyDelete