Saturday, April 9, 2011

Week 2 Reading: Art of Possibility Ch 1–4: Response to Mike



The beauty of the EMDT program is that we have been challenged to move outside the boundaries we usually set up for our own students in creating the projects and completing each month's set of challenges.  In an almost subversive way, giving the A is the practice of most of our instructors throughout the ten-plus months we have traveled on this journey.  I say subversive because it is only now that the practice has been revealed to us through this excellent book. 

That said, I have been truly inspired by two non-traditional “textbooks” in this program.  The first isPresentation Zen, the perfect selection to inspire in us that less is more in presentations.  Garr Reynolds was able to teach an old speech communications teacher some new tricks and moved me towards the selection of my Action Research topic. 

Now, I have the Art of Possibility, which should be required reading for teachers, both old and new.  What a down-to-earth, simple approach to drawing the best out of each of the children we are charged with moving on to the next level in their lives. 

Just today, when I was working through my classroom to check on progress on the upcoming projects, I saw many of the same approaches to solving the problems of creating an effective presentation.  That seemed ok to me, until I checked on a group that was obviously enjoying what they were doing, almost, it seemed to me, too much.  To my pleasant surprise, they were sharing what they had done so far, which was the lyrics to the song they were writing to tell the story of their mythic hero.  It was really good, and made me wonder what made them go in that direction, when most of their peers wouldn’t.  Their answer was the same thing the Zanders reveal in the practice at the end of chapter one: they looked beyond what was already being done and looked at what they might invent that would be another choice and open up new spaces to work in.

Bruchetta Jones said...

No comments:

Post a Comment